Showcase Your Home
Renovate or Move?
Sell or Buy First?
How to Price It Right
Why Call Us?
All About Hamilton
City of Hamilton
Local School Info
Moving can be such a stressful undertaking that we often get distracted and forget to do the little things like forward our mail or change our driver's license address.
Here are some helpful reminder checklist of things you may want to do:
- Disconnect and settle accounts with utilities, cable and phone services.
- Order utilities to be connected at new home.
- Cancel any pre-authorized bill payments.
- Have your mail forwarded to your new address.
- Stop or forward all home deliveries, newspapers and magazines.
- Start reviewing what is worth taking and what is not. Now is the best time to clear out those closets and start anew.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of pets or plants.
- Prepare a list of all items you want to carry to your new home (such as jewelry and other personal valuables).
- Pick up all personal items at local businesses (dry cleaning, film, storage).
- Service all appliances for the trip.
- All gas appliances must be emptied. It is illegal for movers to carry flammable liquids.
- Verify with your moving company the date, time of arrival and method of payment.
- Take inventory of all items you are moving.
- Get some cash for travelling expenses.
- Service your car thoroughly.
- Let a close friend or family member know your travel route and schedule.
- Investigate how to transfer your children to their new school.
- Send change of address notices to friends, family, and work.
- Collect items you have lent to friends.
- Return everything you have borrowed.
- Obtain or transfer all medical and dental records.
- Fill all prescriptions before leaving.
- Change the address on your driver's license.
- Change all billing addresses for credit cards.
- Order cheques with your new address.
- Change address or transfer banking accounts and safety deposit boxes.
- Leave a record of any security system codes for the new owners.
- Visit your lawyer. Sign all necessary papers.
- Transfer insurance to your new home, or obtain new insurance. Notify your insurance company well in advance of the move and ask to have your policy reviewed.
- Ensure your mover's insurance policies are adequate. If not, obtain your own.
- If you rent, give written notice to your landlord.
- Have all keys to your old home delivered to your REALTOR or Lawyer.
©Copyright 1999 - 2016. Mark DeBruyn-Smith.
Mark DeBruyn-Smith B.A., Salesperson / Vivian DeBruyn-Smith Hons. B.A., Broker
Royal LePage State Realty, Brokerage
905.525.3737 Bus / 905.570.2500 Cell
1122 Wilson St. W., Ancaster - 987 Rymal Rd. E., Hamilton - 115 Hwy#8, Stoney Creek
www.royallepagestate.ca / www.hamiltonhomes.ca